Sunday, February 19, 2012

One More Animal Story

Seems like we had a lot of animals around that country house - George the moose head to all the snakes.  Yet early one winter morning I had an encounter with one of the most vicious of all animals. 

I was pregnant - yet again - with just a few weeks to go and went back to bed when hubby left for work.  I hadn't much more than crawled into bed when I sensed that something had crossed the room.  Out of bed I lumbered, the only way I could do anything those days, and searched the bedroom then all the rooms upstairs - nothing.  Back to bed I crawled thinking I had missed out on twenty of those precious extra minutes I had before the other kids work up.  I loved those extra minutes.

I drifted in and out of dreamland, visions of sugar plums turning to size two ballgowns and tiny feet dancing on air.  Suddenly I knew there were eyes on me - watching me - in that very room.  Slowly I turned over and there they were - two enormous eyes right on me. 

Needless to say I was out of that bed in a shot - well as fast as my swollen feet and enormous girth would allow.  I ran out of the room and pulled the door shut behind me.  I was sure whatever was in there could easily take me down and carry me to whatever living arrangement that species preferred.   

I called my brother-in-law who lived nearby to come a runnin' and to bring his elephant gun with him.  When he showed up with just a flashlight I felt sorry for him but said he was on his own and pointed to the bedroom door  as I was going into the kids' room to protect them.

It took him all of about five minutes to take care of my invader but I am sure it was hard work to wrestle that window open and shoo that tiny baby owl back outside where it belonged.

No comments:

Post a Comment